What I Played Today: October 13

Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

I really need to stop buying new games, but here I am again, playing something new. I have been reading an awesome Let’s Play about Sakura Wars, which was only released in Japan, and thought to myself, “Hey, this is the kind of gameplay I can get behind. Wait, wasn’t there a North American release of some game in the series recently?” It was! The fifth entry in the series, set in America and starring the main character’s nephew, gets set to fight demons in mechs in New York City. And he meets some chicks and has to be friendly with them to increase their stats so they can fight better. It’s an interesting idea for a series, combining dating sims with tactical combat, and so I decided to try it out.

It’s not bad, pretty stupid crazy, and I’m not exactly enamored with any of the characters I’ve met so far. The redhaired girl is a huge Texas stereotype, wholesome she may be, the black chick is a bit of a bitch and her background makes absolutely no sense in 1928, and the Japanese girl (?) is a bit androgynous and aloof. There is a blonde girl coming later, but she seems pretty…submissive, and of course, it’s a Japanese game, so there’s an underage girl later down the line. She seems awesome though, a Hispanic chick with dual-firearms, but that’s not exactly someone I want to court…which is what the game will no doubt imply. So…yeah. But I got through Chapter 1, in which there is a crisis of faith, and there’s a power outage, and the Statue of Liberty, and all kinds of awesome stuff. Woo.

No comments:

Post a Comment