What I Played Today: August 21

Kitsune, Battlestar Galactica

At the game store, some guy walked in and demoed this game that was like Munchkin, but with dice, and I wasn't the hugest fan. The art was really good though, that's nice. But I don't know, it's being kickstarted, look it up, I guess.

AND THEN BATTLESTAR GALACTICA! You may not have heard, on account of it being insane, but they just recently released another expansion based on the much maligned fourth season that went off the air four years ago! Holy crap! Anyway, the majority of this expansion are weird bandaids for things didn't need huge fixes to begin with, which is ODD. Like, it goes out of its way to fix Cylon Leaders (good fix!) and help an issue with the chase fleet expansion and make the treachery deck have a lot more teeth and ONE MORE fix to the imperfect balance issue, why am I paying for these changes? But it adds another brutal scenario with some huge implications and some neat new characters and I would have bought this regardless so...

So we set up a game of five and I made the decision to just play with base and Daybreak. (I discovered a good 25% of the way through the game that this kinda screwed things up, as it accidentally nuked the politics deck whoops) So we pulled out all the previous expansion stuff and put the rest in, and select our characters, and I decide to be a Cylon leader because I'm a jerk. We get into the game and play as normal; everything is going pretty well, with not too many losses and we gained a lot of resources somehow. Morale took a huge beating (which I didn't like because I wanted it to stay above four) but we have three inspirations speeches succeed, which was weird! And then I make a miscalculation and we have a really crappy check in which we learn the true power of the treachery deck when it dumps three or four bad things on us, as well as nuking the score, and so everyone has a mutiny card, and then everyone starts gaining them and going to prison, so that slows things down a lot. The mutiny adds just this huge issue because it is outrageously easy to get them, so you gotta use them and most of the time it's not a great idea.

Then the Cylon realized that time was slim and it was time to start cracking skulls! So he reveals (it was who I thought it was), and starts trying to talk me into hanging with him, and so I saw, "Listen, if you can end this quickly, I'm in," because my Cylons objectives is to make the game end with both morale and population pretty high. My human objectives are easier to achieve, but the humans kept on doing things I didn't want them to do, so I went full Cylon, and the humans just kept getting fantastic rolls and the Cylons didn't have a chance. At distance 8, we eventually called it for the humans, and while I MIGHT have been able to win, it wasn't guaranteed. But I think they have finally nailed down all the problems (I HOPE), and this expansion just feels good. The new Cylon motives are great, the mutineer adds some wackiness, the new treachery deck is BRUTAL but also a bit of fun, and who knows about the new scenario. I should really get some patient people and play through all of those one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment