What I Played Today: October 23

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

There is a new Assassin's Creed, and all the indications seem to be that is this one is a Good One (i.e., the one before it sucked, so this one is much better), and I really haven't played an open world game in a while, so I decided to just pick it up, on a whim. Carl Marx is in it! I like that guy!

The game stars Jacob and Evie Frye, twin assassins who are good at their job, I guess. You start by running a mission with each of them, with Jacob taking down an industrialist and derailing a train, and Evie sneaking into an evil laboratory that manages to explode. After finishing their task and being ordered to return to the country, they say "Fuck it" and head to London to free it from the Templars, because why the hell not? They meet up with Henry Green, an English Indian immigrant (!) and the sole Assassin contact in London. After Jacob spends way too long setting up a bad joke about the gang he wants to start, you finally are free to explore, and then I decided I was done for the night.

It's alright! I like that Evie seems to get equal time as a protagonist (even if it does seem to default to Jacob's idiot ass in many cases) and I like that Henry Green wasn't another goddamn white dude like I assumed. FemFreq reviewed it (a first! I didn't expect this), and seems to imply that is tries pretty hard to get gender representation right, but with all the same problems of all goddamn Assassin's Creeds. So...I think I'll like it. I mean, I like Assassin's Creeds in general, so...I should like this, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment