What I Played Today: October 30

Code Words, Smash Up, Red7, One Night Revolution, Race for the Galaxy

I made it to game night! I should get a tiny trophy! I had a mild panic attack that everyone would hate me for not showing up for over a year. That didn't happen! I don't know what I would do if it did!

Anyway, there are a lot of people I DON'T know there, including a guy that apparently has a hook-up with game designers, so much so that he has prototype for a game that is similar to Spyfall, which is a game I have not played. There are two words; most player get one word, one player gets the other. All players writes down a related word to the word they have, and then they must try to figure out who is the sole recipient of the other word, OR if you are that person, you try to figure out what the other word is. Whoever does the best gets points. There are a bunch of other rules. The concept is fine; the execution is clearly in need of work, thus, prototype. I got into a tiny fight with a guy who was like, "Well, why wouldn't everyone just be an asshole to the guy who is winning?" because the thought of being a dick NEVER OCCURRED TO ME. I guess I am just not tooled that way.

Then a game of Red 7, which went fine, everyone wasn't too dumb about it. This game has a weird level of entry. I don't know, it's fine, but it's unusually difficult to teach.

A game of Smash Up! Which is now officially out of control! The game was already kind of difficult to handle when there WEREN'T 40 goddamn factions. We played a game, slowly, and eventually it got to the point where someone was clearly going to win and I tried everything in my power to stop it, but I couldn't, because ninjas. The end.

I also tried to play One Night Revolution, which I might just fucking stop doing, because it has gone poorly every single goddamn time I've tried. This time it was five players, and I should have known immediately this was a bad idea, because I was playing with the same goddamn player who ruined One Night Werewolf with this group for this, and this other player who just seems....slow? Like, I don't want to be an ableist jerk, but...this guy takes a while to understand some concepts. And of course these two problem players break the game when one views the other and fingers him as a baddie, game over, pack up your cards, throw the game in the fucking garbage.

I admit that I kinda lost my shit here. I had reached a breaking point in which I was very frustrated that I could not get an even decent experience with this ten-minute game, and I said some frankly dickish things to people who did not deserve it, both when I was cleaning up and just now. I am very sorry that I feel this way, but I also feel that it is important to admit and display that I do, in fact, have this feelings, and while I am in no way proud, I am definitely a real human being who feels a bit of pride from this dumb game that I paid money for. I paid for this thing, and I want to play a single good game of it. I'm sorry for my stupid foolish pride.

BUT enough for that. How about a game of Race to the Galaxy? This game is pretty good. I got stuck on a military track, and couldn't get the planets I needed. It happens! I have no hard feelings about it. I could CARE LESS about Race for the Galaxy, because I've gotten my money's worth from that one copy I bought three or four years ago. Apparently they changed the Gambling World at some point. Who knew?

But yeah, kind of excited to going back to this again, TWO weeks from now, because the game center is closed for bullshit next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment