What I Played Today: January 16

Shadows Over Camelot, Tiny Epic Kingdoms, Boss Monster, Red 7

I saw a weird flyer, and instead of doing what literally everyone else would do, I called up a friend and decided to check out the purported event! I'm weird!

So I gathered up a bunch of games and went to the theater space, where we learned that the event was happening because the owners had a free night on their schedule so they decided to host a board game night? Odd. There was some guy trying to understand the Shadows Over Camelot card game, and I knew that game, so I volunteered my services, explained it as best as I could, which is hard because there are like twenty cards that are unique and difficult to understand, and also TWO that are not even explained in the rulebook! Anyway, we got going, cheating a little bit, which is too bad, because I was the traitor. There was also...this guy. I don't like to complain about people, but I just could not stand how this guy would draw a card and slam it down on the pile with this thumb, bending the card every time. I don't put protectors on my cards, but I also expect people at least try not to hurt the materials. He also just kinda refused to play by various rules because he found them inconvenient. Just...burnt my brisket. And of course his favorite game is Battlestar Galactica and he was suggesting it all night. Ahahahahaha, no.

Also got a chance to finally crack Tiny Epic Kingdoms. I like it! It's a small scale 4X game, where you slowly build your kingdom, invade other territories, slowly build a tower, and expand your magical powers. It's really simple, with a lot of ways to get points and a lot of ways to end the game, with the only real variance coming from the magic powers of each race. Very easy to learn, fun to play, lot of hard decisions, very good. I did not win.

Then after trying to get a game of Resistance off the ground (didn't work), my friend and I figured out that we both didn't like Boss Monster! It's a game where you build up a dungeon to take out heroes, but it's too simple, and there's too much of a luck factor of whether you get the cards you need or not, and it's mildly unbalanced, and I did not have fun. The art is good though, some solid 16-bit art. But...play Infernal Contraption instead. Much better game with the same general idea.

Then a few games of Red 7, which is a fun abstract game in which you must be winning at the end of your turn or you are out. You can add a card from your hand to your tableau and/or change the rule of what counts as winning. Oh, and you only have seven cards to do it, no drawing. It's pretty good! Quick, smart, clever. There was one round where I started the game winning, then it got to my turn I was out, which is kinda silly, I liked it!

I don't know, maybe I'll go again. It was interesting, at least, although I was really hoping for more bluffing games. These are theater people, for Chris's sake.


No comments:

Post a Comment