What I Played Today: February 12

Various, Mass Effect

Tonight was a slow starter, as I played a couple of cheap games before digging down into something more substantial. I played a game or two of Geometry Wars, a pointless five minutes of Shadow Complex (why would they put a save point there?!), and some stupid time playing on 1 vs. 100, as well as some flash game, some bullshit about drilling, I don’t know. There’s an unwritten rule of gaming, mainly, if a game costs less than 20 dollars at the moment you buy it, it isn’t anything to write home about. This isn’t inaccurate, and while it does suck for certain games that are designed to be cheap, like Braid, it still is a bit of a flighty experience to play a game that doesn’t force you to invest. I don’t understand the rationale, but I still get a sense that when I play a game without a down payment, I’m “wasting my time.” Most of the time, I think, “I thought that was the point,” but I didn’t manage to get into it tonight.

I did get in some more time with Mass Effect, wandering around the Citadel and doing, officially, whatever. I remember this part being very engaging the first time, mainly because the suprisingly humanoid alien races of Mass Effect are still pretty interesting. The writing and voice acting of this game are top notch, a beautiful example of the standard that Bioware holds itself to. I found myself positively enraptured in the voice acting of the receptionist(!) of the Consort. That voice could convince me to spend over a thousand dollars on bullshit.

There are two bullshit fights in the Citadel that they throw in so you didn’t get bored, one time when you run into assassins who are really bad at their jobs and dead, and one time when some asshole mercenaries don’t notice that there’s a damn federal agent in the same room where they are holding a hostage. These “fights” to break up the continuous running around in the most boring part of Act I only gowa to show that Bioware should have really existed in the peak of the adventure game renaissance. But now, now they have to throw in some nonsense to keep the number-centric RPG crowd interested. Ick. If I want numbers, I know where to go. But frankly, with these writers, they should really be allowed to play to their strengths.

Sorry for the slow decrease of word count that seems to be occurring, a rough, uninspiring week at the day job, and it’s only going to get worse until Feb. 28. I’ll try to keep it interesting as best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment