What I Played Today: August 26

Penny Arcade: Gamers vs. Evil, Quarriors, Nuns on the Run, Dance Central 2, Mii Plaza

PAX guys. It's a big thing! Today was the day where I got a good look at the floor and purchased stuff, not worrying too much about getting a lot of play in but making sure to get what I wanted before they were sold out. I also brought along my 3DS to try and do some Streetpassing, which does not work as well as you'd think! You can only collect ten people at a time, so you constantly had to log in and check on guys. It was pretty annoying, and eventually I just decided to give up.

Around 4 p.m. I had successfully scouted the area and found what I needed to buy, and then bought them up, only skipping the Gears of War board game because it was about $10 more expensive than I expected. After I loaded my hands up, I went to the Dance Central 2 booth and did a dance battle. This is exactly what I wanted, and I will buy it when they will let me.

Then at the hotel we cracked open a couple of boxes. Penny Arcade: Gamers vs. Evil is another deck building game, but with a lot more jokes. It's really simple, with two currency sources, tokens and power, and almost every cards provides you with one or the other. Tokens buy strong cards, power buys cards with victory points. Each player also has a character that gives them a unique ability and determines what their starting deck layout. It's pretty fun, although I have heard the TouchWeiners joke about fifteen hundred times already.

One of the vendors had Quarriors, which I heard was all sold out, so it was bought, and I really like this one. It's another dang deck building game, but with dice instead. Each dice provides either currency, a creature, or a spell effect, and the basic premise is to keep all your creatures alive to your next turn while killing your opponents. But it's fast and highly customizable, because while there are 130 dice, each dice set has at least three different versions, so while you may be playing with the blob dice, it will work differently in one game than it did in another. It's pretty good.

After a panel that we got kicked out of early (the nerve), we played a game of Nuns on the Run, which I didn't know the rules to, and am still uncertain about! After some mishaps, we almost got the hang of it, with the secret movement and the hey-hey, but I managed to catch the other players a few times, ending the game. I'm not sure I like this, because it's a deductive game that puts too much emphasis on a single player doing all the deducting, and there's just too much randomness.

Back at the hotel, a few more games of stuff I already talked about, they are still good, so no more. To sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment