What I Played Today: May 24

Battlestar Galactica, 30 Second Hero

Tonight I got to play Battlestar Galactica with the guys, and although I had fun, a mess of a few considerations that went astray led to a bit of an uneasy feeling at the end. We started later than we should have and didn’t make sure that everyone had enough time to play, and we were having trouble keeping everyone engaged, so that the last half-hour was tense and we just tried to rush to the end of the game.

It was an interesting game though, with a Cylon leader who immediately joined the human fleet, while I was handed a cylon card from the beginning. I tried to engage in a long con, trying to convince everyone that those who were playing a bit poorly were doing so on purpose; the admiral who was inching us along a jump at a time, the president who kept wanting to repair locations when a whole cylon fleet was bearing down on us. The mistake I made was giving them a way to prove themselves with crisis cards, making it clear exactly what side they were on, or at least making it known. So, after accidently clearing the other people on the table, I couldn’t get aggressive without immediately painting a target on my face. By the time we distributed some new loyalty cards, the dials weren’t down far enough, and we suddenly hit the accelerator to end by midnight, and I couldn’t deal enough damage before the game was over. The Cylon leader didn’t win either, mainly because he was too friendly and needed those dials down as well with the humans winning (that card is pretty difficult).

I also played some 30 Second Hero on the train, and I’m starting to realize how clever the game is. Each level is short, able to finish in under five minutes, but each has a new trick; a new weapon to try to get, different considerations to handle, trying to understand what needs to be and how fast. There are a lot of secrets and a lot of ways to approach it, something you don’t expect from something so short.

No comments:

Post a Comment